Hankook Tire's High-End Tires in Standard and Runflat Versions for the New Mercedes-Benz C-Class
- Hankook Tire's high-end product Ventus S1 evo2 selected as the original equipment for the new edition of the Mercedes-Benz C-Class
- Company's flagship product both in standard and runflat versions to be fitted to the brand new high-tech limousine in size 17 inches
July 15th, 2014 (Seoul, Korea) - Hankook Tire, the leading and one of the fastest growing tire companies in the world, is expanding its original equipment involvement with Daimler AG. As of now, Hankook Tire is also equipping the brand new Mercedes-Benz C-Class with high performance tires from its multiple award-winning Ventus line.
The medium-sized limousine is now the third model of the luxury brand from Stuttgart, following the Mercedes-Benz S- and E-Classes, that is being fitted with Hankook Tire original equipment. The new Mercedes-Benz C-Class is also currently being equipped with Hankook Tire’s Ventus S1 evo2 high-end tires in sizes 225/50 R 17 W in the standard as well as the runflat versions.
"The new C-Class is already the third Mercedes-Benz premium model that has been equipped with our high performance tires in the last twelve months. It thereby documents consistently recognized high performance both in development as well as in production", explained Mr. Byung-il Woo, Vice President of Global OE Division at Hankook Tire. "We are particularly proud that Hankook Runflat System, which is produced in Europe, is able to satisfy the high demands of the Mercedes-Benz engineers when it comes to safety, driving dynamics as well as comfort. This original equipment is therefore further proof of the worldwide technological competence of the Hankook Tire brand."
In addition to the standard version of Ventus S1 evo2, Hankook Runflat System (HRS), which is being used for the first time in the premium original equipment segment, has been especially adapted by Hankook developers to fit the typical Mercedes aspects of safety and comfort for the new Mercedes-Benz C-Class. Even in the test phase, both versions of the Ventus S1 evo2 being used were distinguished by predictable, reliable handling, outstanding braking performance, high directional stability, low rolling noise and significantly reduced rolling resistance. The reason for it, among others, is a significant weight reduction (less unsprung mass) thanks to an extremely lightweight and highly durable steel cord material used for the belt package technology that is also found in the Hankook racing tires in the DTM.
The rubber mixture used is also purely high-tech. By extending the mixing periods at reduced temperatures a significant increase of the compounding rate is achieved in the tread surface area and a significantly more targeted cross-linkage between the carbon black and rubber molecules. The result is less heat development during the drive, which also has a positive effect on driving dynamic and particularly on rolling resistance and wear-out properties. Furthermore, a specially developed styrene-polymer also significantly increases the grip level of the tires for outstanding braking and traction performance in wet conditions.
* Kontrol Technology
Derived from the English terms Kinetic (for movement) and Control (for control), Hankook Tire Kontrol Technology reflects the best possible controllability of the interaction between the driver, the vehicle and the road by the tires during the journey. Kontrol Technology has been developed in order to provide the vehicle driver with all currently available benefits of the latest Hankook Tire technology in terms of safety, driving characteristics, comfort and environmental compatibility.
Technical Characteristics of the Hankook Tire's Ventus S1 evo²
- DTM-derived tire contour with Multi Tread Radius for equal ground contact pressure achieved through ideal tire footprint. Significant weight reduction through application of ultra-light yet highly durable steel cord material for steel belt package:
- Distinctive dynamic driving characteristics even under demanding conditions.
- Outstanding straight stability also at highest speeds.
- High level of driving comfort and low rolling noise.
- Increased performance especially in lateral hydroplaning.
- DTM-inspired triple layer block design for superior traction:
- The staircase arrangement of the outer rib blocks is designed to increase the tire contact patch with the surface as the tire wear progresses, ensuring a consistently high traction performance throughout the tire-lifecycle.
- Latest generation Mixing Technologies and all new Tread Compound for reduced Rolling Resistance, dynamic handling characteristics and improved wet braking performance:
- The extension of mixing times at reduced temperatures significantly increases the bonding rate and more targeted cross linking between carbon and rubber molecules for reduced heat generation during driving thus improving handling characteristics while at the same time reducing rolling resistance, tread wear and thermal caused aging.
- A new High Styrene Polymer enhances the tire’s wet braking performance as well.
- Advanced Cooling System with Intercoolers for improved heat regulation:
- Surface-enlarging cooling fins applied to the tire’s main grooves allow for continuous heat reduction, resulting in a more stable handling performance.
- Double step dimples applied to outer block edges generate cooling micro turbulences thus reducing heat in the tire’s shoulder part.
- Aerodynamically designed side wall helps to reduce noise and vibration level for increased driving comfort.
- VAI Siping System (Vehicle Alignment Indicator)
- Provides drivers an easy and convenient way to check the vehicles alignment themselves by comparing wear on the sipes of both of the tire’s shoulders and realign as necessary.
- The current line-up comprises 55 dimensions from 16 to 19 inch with aspect ratios 60 to 30, covering tread widths from 205 to 305mm. The Ventus S1 evo2 is available for high powered compact cars, luxury limousines, sportive coupes /convertibles and GTs as well as high end sports cars.
- The runflat version comprises dimensions from 17 to 18 inch with aspect ratios 50 to 40, covering tread widths from 205 to 245mm.
About Hankook Tire Co., Ltd.
Hankook Tire (Vice Chairman & CEO: Seung Hwa Suh) is the leading and one of the fastest growing tire companies in the world. As a tire manufacturer dedicated to contribute to advancement in driving, Hankook Tire intensively invests in research and development via five R&D centers around the world. Applying the newest innovative technologies and solutions, it produces superior quality and high performance radial tires for passenger cars, 4x4s, SUVs, light trucks, campers, trucks, buses and motorsports at its seven manufacturing facilities in four different countries. Hankook Tire currently employs approximately 20,000 people around the world, and its products are available worldwide in over 180 countries.
For more information, please visit Hankook Tire’s global website at www.hankooktire.com/global.