BMW X5 is the fifth model from the BMW Group to be factory equipped with Hankook Tire's products
November 27th, 2013 (Seoul, Korea) - Hankook Tire, the leading and one of the fastest growing tire companies in the world, today announced its continued original equipment portfolio expansion in the premium segment of German automobile manufacturers, as the company will now supply ultra-high-performance (UHP) tires for the new third-generation of BMW X5. As of its market launch, the trendsetter from the Munich-based automobile manufacturer in the field of luxury sports activity vehicles will be factory-equipped with Hankook Tire's top performing tires for the first time. The all-new Ventus S1 evo² SUV tire will be applied with a completely newly developed construction with sports-dynamic genes especially for this vehicle category. It will also be available on the replacement market as of spring 2014 in sizes from 17 to 22 inches covering aspect ratios 60 to 30 with the tread widths from 225 to 315.
Following on from the MINI, BMW 1-, 3- and 5-series, the BMW X5 is the fifth model from the BMW Group that Hankook Tire will supply original equipment for. “This new addition to our existing OE portfolio, particularly in the luxury SUV segment, represents a significant value to our business at Hankook Tire, given the flourishing, sharp growth this segment is experiencing in the global automotive market,” says Mr. Seung Hwa Suh, Vice Chairman and CEO of Hankook Tire. He adds, “Starting with the supply of our high-performance tires to BMW X5, Hankook Tire will continuously expand our presence in the global SUV market as a premium tire supplier.”
The concept behind Hankook Tire's flagship, Ventus S1 evo2, is also in the new SUV-version aiming at drivers of high-performance, dynamic vehicles, who demand uncompromising and sports-like performance from their tires across all parameters without compromising on features like suspension, luxurious comfort, low rolling noise and low rolling resistance. “With the new Ventus S1 evo² SUV, we have developed a high-performing tire that optimally supports the characteristics of premium SUV-vehicles designed for a sporty yet comfortable feel, like the new BMW X5, without neglecting the attributes of efficiency and environmental excellence, which are becoming increasingly important,” explained engineer Klaus Krause, Head of the Hankook European Technical Center in Hanover, Germany.
The particularly sophisticated technology of the Ventus S1 evo2 SUV with its multiple tread radius and double-layer rayon carcass provides a maximum tire contact area under all conditions. The tire impresses not only with outstanding aquaplaning abilities but also with optimum road contact for perfect balance under both wet and dry conditions. Driving control and safety at high speeds are also significantly improved. The innovative DTM-inspired 3-layer block design with its special staircase arrangement of the outer rib blocks, provides an improved tire contact area as tire wear progresses thereby guaranteeing more effective traction performance across the entire life cycle of the tire.
The Ventus S1 evo2 SUV is equipped with the newest generation of highly developed silica compound with an optimized cross-linking system that improves wet traction, wear characteristics and thermal ageing resistance. The high traction styrene polymer formula enables improved wet performance while rolling resistance is reduced for maximized environmental excellence. A refined cooling system with surface enlarging fins anchored to the base of the tread grooves and micro-turbulence generating dimples arranged on the outer edges of the shoulder block enable faster heat dissipation for more stable handling characteristics and longer tire durability. In order to make the driving experience even more comfortable, the new Hankook Tire’s UHP flagship is equipped with a particularly aerodynamic sidewall that further reduces tire noise and also highlights the sports-look of the tire. The Ventus S1 evo2 SUV is manufactured mainly in the company's state-of-the-art factory in Hungary.
Hankook Tire's New SUV Tire Selected as Original Equipment in the Premium Segment
- DTM developed tread surface with Multi-Tread Radius and double-layer rayon carcass for extremely smooth ground pressure distribution thanks to an ideal tire contact area:
- Exceptional high-speed driving performance and driving stability
- Perfect balance and performance on wet and dry roads
- Improved performance especially with transverse aquaplaning
- DTM-inspired triple layered block design for superior traction:
- The staircase arrangement of the outer rib blocks is designed to increase the tire contact patch with the surface as the tire wear progresses, ensuring a consistently high traction performance throughout the tyre-life cycle
- Compound Technology of the latest generation for high wet braking performance & less rolling resistance:
- New high Styrene Polymer enhances the tire’s wet braking performance
- Optimized cross-linking system improves the tire’s wear performance and reduces thermal ageing
- More stable handling performance through improved heat regulation:
- Permanent heat reduction through surface enlarging cooling fins
- Cooling micro turbulences through double step dimples at the shoulder part
- VAI Siping System (Vehicle Alignment Indicator):
- Provides drivers an easy and convenient way to check the vehicles alignment themselves by comparing wear on the sipes of both of the tire’s shoulders and realign as necessary
- The line-up will initially be available in sizes from 17 to 22 inches covering aspect ratios 60 to 30 with the tread widths from 225 to 315.
About Hankook Tire America Corp.
Hankook Tire (Vice Chairman & CEO: Seung Hwa Suh) is the leading and one of the fastest growing tire companies in the world. As a tire manufacturer dedicated to contribute to advancement in driving, Hankook Tire intensively invests in research and development via five R&D centers around the world. Applying the newest innovative technologies and solutions, it produces superior quality and high performance radial tires for passenger cars, 4x4s, SUVs, light trucks, campers, trucks, buses and motorsports at its seven manufacturing facilities in four different countries. Hankook Tire currently employs approximately 20,000 people around the world, and its products are available worldwide in over 180 countries.
For more information, please visit Hankook Tire’s global web site at www.hankooktire.com.