Hankook Tire 2011 Marketing Shifts into High Gear as Sales Surge
New TV and print advertising, outdoor billboards and consumer promotions launched
along with increased sponsorships in motorsports and baseball
WAYNE, N.J., April 27, 2011 - In a move designed to build brand recognition and accelerate its growing market share in the United States, Hankook Tire America Corp. today unveiled plans for a broad range of marketing activities throughout 2011 that are intended to significantly increase public awareness of one of America's fastest growing tire brands.
In its most recent quarter, Hankook Tire reported significant growth in the United States with an increase in sales of over 26% from Q1 2010, after seeing overall U.S. sales climb 21 percent for all of 2010. Building off its growing success in the U.S., Hankook Tire America Corp. is expanding its presence in 2011 with a fully integrated marketing campaign that will showcase the brand on everything from the TV screen to a 3,000 square foot billboard in the heart of Times Square. The campaign is expected to generate significant impressions in the United States this year to support its expanding sales.
"We are experiencing terrific growth in the U.S. market so it makes sense to increase our marketing activities to further fuel our expanding presence here," said Soo Il Lee, president of Hankook Tire America Corp. "Consumers have responded very positively to our value proposition ? a high quality product at an excellent price, with outstanding service and support. But just as importantly, they are responding to our brand. Our creative has been developed to appeal to everyone from the car enthusiast to the general consumer. This is the time for Hankook Tire to further break out on the American scene."
Consumers can expect to see the Hankook brand in a range of media and events this year, including:
- TV and print advertising - For 2011 Hankook has expanded its TV advertising under its brand umbrella "Driving Emotion." The new commercial -- "Be One with It" - is a fast-paced, high energy 30-second spot that focuses on the driver's feeling of 'being one' with the tire and the road. Filmed in New Zealand by famed director Jeffrey Darling, the spot uses unique extreme sport situations to emphasize the theme. The commercial will start to air in May on national cable networks such as ESPN, Discovery, Spike, Speed, CNN, Food Network, History, TruTV and FX as well as regionally in top markets. Hankook is also a lead sponsor of the current season of "Car Warriors" on Speed Network. Print advertising will include placements in both auto enthusiast and consumer lifestyle magazines, such as Maxim, Men's Health, Popular Mechanics, Car And Driver and Forbes.
- Baseball related advertising - Hankook has nearly doubled its presence in a much coveted brand placement - behind home plate advertising in major league baseball parks throughout the country. Hankook's branding will be seen by millions as their favorite teams step up to the plate this season to try to knock one out of the park. Hankook has increased its participation in behind home plate advertising to 22 major league baseball parks for 2011.
- Motorsports - Hankook has increasingly become a staple on the American motorsports scene. The company garnered enhanced visibility and sales increases in 2010 as a result of its motorsports sponsorships and special racing programs and has multiplied its involvement for 2011 by becoming an official sponsor of Formula Drift. Hankook will also support teams competing in the Redline Time Attack series, Rally Cross and Pikes Peak Hill Climb. Enthusiasts, racers and influentials in the industry will experience Hankook's increased presence in nearly two dozen races around the country in popular driving events.
- Consumer promotions - Tens of thousands of consumers participated in Hankook's rebate and giveaway promotions last year and the company continues to extend its baseball-themed marketing. On April 1st, Hankook kicked off its 2011 "Great Catch" mail-in rebate promotion and giveaway, rewarding customers with up to a $60 cash rebate for the purchase of a set of four qualifying tires, along with a chance to win a 2011 Ford Explorer Limited.
- Times Square billboard - Hankook's "Driving Emotion" tagline has already become a fixture in the advertising mecca of brands that make up the landscape in the heart of America's most famous intersection -- Times Square in New York City. Hankook's unique tire shaped billboard will be seen for a full year by more than 1.5 million consumers who pass through Times Square every day.
About Hankook Tire America Corp.
Hankook Tire America Corp. is a growing leader in the U.S. tire market, leveraging investments in technology, manufacturing and marketing to deliver high quality, reliable products that are better for consumers and the environment. Headquartered in Wayne, N.J., Hankook Tire America Corp. markets and distributes a complete line of high performance and ultra-high performance passenger tires, light truck, SUV tires, as well as medium truck and bus tires to more than 400 independent dealers through 3000+ retail sales locations in the United States.